Sunday, July 26, 2009

One Can Only Hope...

...that I turn out like my mom. She (and my dad) have been absolutely irreplaceable in our lives over this last month. You see, my mom and I are very similar in a lot of ways, which caused some pretty entertaining yet heated moments when I was in high school. Let's face it, the last thing you want to be at 16 is your mother! However, as I look back at our relationship, even the door-slamming days, I see just how special my mom is. I must admit that one of the reasons I was so excited to have a little girl was to hopefully have the kind of relationship with Lily that I have with my mom. I am learning that there is nothing quite like that bond. My mom was diagnosed with MS when I was around 10 years old. I have vague but specific memories from that time. I do remember wondering if it would always be like 'that.' Painful. Stressful. Tiring. Hard. By the grace of God alone, it has not always been like that for my mom. I have watched her with Jakob over these last three years, and I swear to you, she who should have the least energy, has the most! Jakob and Nana leave the rest of us in the dirt! I adore watching my son with my mom. He looks at her in a way that no one else sees. He always has. It is as though he has known from the beginning that Nana was wholeheartedly in his corner. I am so excited to see all of the things that Lily and Nana share together as well. (If the wall, yes I said wall of bows in her room is any indication, we are in trouble!) Mom has made me feel much more adequate as a mom than I really am. She is so encouraging to me. She, alone, knows when and when not to make a suggestion or give a compliment. I love that about her. She is my very best friend...just check our cell phone minutes if you doubt that! That friendship, though, has developed since Jared and I have married. She was my 'mom' when I was still living with them. Friends? Sure. Parent? Absolutely. My mom is such a godly example to me in marriage and parenting...truly Proverbs 31 right down to the making of your own garments! The point of all this? Mom has had Jakob for nearly 3 weeks, either here or in Oklahoma. They have swam, made crafts, had sword fights, cuddled, read, sang, danced, and the most important thing of all...she has continued in the unsuccessful potty training bid! She has cleaned out his poopy underwear for three weeks now. I told you, she is a saint! We are going tomorrow to spend this week at mom and dad's house, and we could not be more excited! But as we go and resume our role as Jakob's caregivers, I just wanted you to know, mom, that you are my hero. I thank you for loving me, Jared, Jakob, and now Lily with an unconditional, prayerful love that I can only hope I return to my children. It is truly my hope and fervent prayer that Lily will think of me as I think of you...it would be my highest compliment. I love you, momma.

Nana with Jakob
Nana spending some special time with Jakob getting ready for Lily.
Nana with Lily

Nana with Jakob and Lily

Nana playing Cars dominoes with Jakob 'and' Lily. No one else would get in the floor at the hospital. See what I mean?! She is Superwoman!

Me, Momma, and My Babies (looking lost and frightened with Jakob!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say, but thank you so much. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your life and share such special times with Jakob and Lily. The past 3 weeks have been a blast, and I will miss him something terrible. You make me very proud as I watch you with your children.You have grown so much between Jakob and Lily. You are a great MOM and Lily will love being you little girl, yes she will always be your little girl. I love you so much and can't wait to see you.

jarcarhar said...

I love you, too, my anonymous mom! :-) Now, let's do what we do best...shop!!!

Vicki said...

This post made me call my Momma! Love the words, as always and the pictures are wonderful. I too am a bestie with my mom....especially now that I am a mom myself.

Ashley said...

oh do i have a photo to show YOU! ;) and along the lines of mother/daughter, i have a gift that i have forgotten to give you like, oh, 6 times now... i'll try to remember soon. :P

jarcarhar said...

anything from Ashley with capital letters and emoticons makes me all giddy inside!!! Yippee!

Damon and Erin said...

What a precious Momma you do have Carla... and what a precious Momma you are as well to Jakob and Lily. What a sweet post... I cried, of course.

Merissa said...

Your family is precious!