Friday, September 5, 2008

Lightning only strikes once...right?!

Okay, so it has been an interesting day to say the least. It hasn't been bad at all...its been ironic, a bit frustrating at times, and long but not bad. For those of you who chose to read my rantings...here you go! So, yesterday I left the house at 8:30 and returned home after 10 last night. I have an incredible job that allows me great flexibility in my time and schedule normally. I am just trying to keep my head above water right now with everything and everyone! We had small group last night, always a huge blessing, but it just ended up being a really long day. SO...the sun came up on September 5, 2005. Work was fine. The kids were fine. Jared had to leave for Dumas for a football game in the early afternoon, so I went to pick up lunch for Jared, Jakob, and myself so that we could see one another a bit after our long day yesterday and our separate schedules today. I realized after leaving the house that I had left my wallet in my office last night. So, I only had my checkbook. Well, as I am sure you know, most places don't take checks any longer. I chose to go to Whataburger, my favorite, to get lunch. I looked ALL OVER the drive through menu for any signs of their check acceptance policy. Nothing. So, I ordered with a watering mouth and Jakob in the back yelling, "Yay! Kamburgers!" After 25 MINUTES waiting in the drive through, I reached the window to hand the man my GOOD, NON-BOUNCING check only to hear, "I'm sorry, ma'am. We don't take checks." I said, (quite sarcastically) "Of course you don't. Fantastic." As he smiled his goofy high school grin at me, I wondered how he was even eligible to be working at this time of day. Shouldn't you be in school? Or am I just getting really old?! Anyway, I digress. I then, more politely, said, "You should really post that on your menu back there. It would have saved some confusion." Then, I gunned it. I was now late to work, didn't get to see my husband, and couldn't explain to my 2-year old why he didn't have his 'kamburger.' Seriously. *deep breath* Okay, so I won't even go into detail about the nap time debacle that happened in my office today. It isn't even worth your ocular efforts right now. So Erin, Ashley, and myself had an undercover operation planned tonight. When we got to our secret destination armed with flowers, tools, dirt, and organic compost, a God-send of a friend, Michael, noticed that the Jeep was 'bleeding'...GASOLINE!!! Not just a few drops, either. So here is how the story goes. Carla's Jeep, leaking gas. Michael's neighbor just happens to be a mechanic. (Thank you, Lord!) Neighbor mechanic man comes out smoking a cigarette to check my gasoline leak. He did however throw it in the opposite direction of the Jeep...smart. He instructs Carla not to drive the Jeep for fear of, oh you know, EXPLOSION! Jared is unable to be reached because he is already on the radio in Dumas. I don't think all of Frenship-land wants to hear this conversation played out over the air-ways! I had to make this decision all on my own...completely out of my character. This is, after all, why I got married to a capable man! While I am talking with the friend and the mechanic, Erin and Ashley went and shopped in another neighbor's garage. This neighbor is not having a garage sale...they just went shopping...through plus size clothing, none-the-less! If you know them, you know why that's even funnier! So, really, God is so in these details. If this was going to happen while Jared was gone, what incredible provision today in all of the quirkiness! Just before we left, though, the transformer on the electrical lines above where the Jeep landed began shuddering and sputtering. So, hopefully, the transformer will not blow up while my gaseous Jeep rests beneath it. Oh, and just so you know that God still has a sense of humor...our Jeep is a disaster! We strive to NEVER let people inside or to even get close to seeing the inner workings of our slobbed out vehicle. How funny that I had to have the help of two very dear friends who had not yet entered the 'trashed out Jeep' phase of our relationship. In fact, I don't know that anyone but students have entered the Jeep in years. Anyway, it was humiliating for me. Erin even found enough change just in the passenger floor board to get a Sonic drink! When I came home tonight, Jakob shoved his fist down his throat and vomited on me. How is that for a period on the end of this day? Thank you, God, for protecting my family today from a potentially harmful situation. Thank you for your mercies that are new every morning. Seriously.

2 comments:

bbw789 said...

Ha! You could have found enough money in your Jeep to pay for 'Kamburgers' :] But it does prove that you are 'young peoples'!

Ashley said...

LOL! I'm STILL laughing and I was THERE!! ...for most of it. but not laughing at the vomit...that's not funny. :P