Wednesday, September 17, 2008

ABC's

When Jakob was a very new baby, it took me a while to get out of my funk and tap into my own childhood to pull out fun songs, stories, and other things that should be second nature for moms. So, in the middle of the nights when I had run out of praise and worship songs to sing, I would pull out the ever reliable "ABC Song." Instead of tagging the end with the line, "Now I've sung my ABC's, next time won't you sing with me," I would sing, "Now I've sung our ABC's, can't wait 'til you sing with me." Jared and I continued to sing our change of words until this week. He has been able to sing parts of the song with us for several months now, but this week, he sang the whole song by himself. He sang the original tag lines instead of the Hardy version. Tonight in the car as he sang it all by himself, on key no less, I had a massive, "Oh my goodness, my baby is not a baby anymore" moment. It was so surreal to remember singing "Can't wait 'til you sing with me" and living out that exact moment. I LOVE hearing him sing songs that he has learned from us or at church and the songs he composes himself. I swear I see God's grace, mercy, and creativity spelled out to me through Jakob each and every day. Needless to say, I have a new favorite song...ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ...

0 comments: