Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Halloween's of Yesteryear

I mentioned earlier this week that Halloween falls at a very busy time of year for us. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten very good at planning ahead. BUT, I am better than I used to be! This year, I did buy everything for Jakob's outfit on Wednesday before the big day on Friday. It might not have been assembled until 5:15 pm, but it was the property of Hardy Procrastinators Inc. Jakob's first Halloween, we were so broke and so swamped that I make him into a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs out of materials found at the local Family Dollar. I cannot believe we did this to our child. So, that was October of 2006. Jakob was five months old. Do you see the look on his face?! Its a mix of confusion, panic, and disbelief. So, then last year, I decided that we would not go the homemade route. We would buy it...like real families do! However, Halloween last year fell on a Wednesday night. Wednesday in ministry for us were always incredibly busy and rushed. To top it all off, we closed on our first house last October 31. We stopped at K-Mart to buy our dining room table (classy, I know) on our way to Abernathy that night for the trunk or treat stuff at the church. While we were there at the customer service desk redeeming our rain check for the table, I saw a skunk costume in the return pile. We bought it, sight-unseen! I didn't even check the tag! It was too small, so we cut the crotch out of the costume in the Jeep in the K-Mart parking lot before we left. Our poor child...he is either going to be the most resourceful person in history or in counseling for life...

Again, look at the face!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I REMEMBER THAT DAY!!!!!!!! I'm also pretty sure I took the second picture.

i love and miss you guys..

Wil you be home thanksgiving?