Sunday, November 9, 2008

First Weekend in November

Okay, since I'm still in the mood of celebrating Jared's birthday, I thought I would just share with you a story that shows what a romantic he is. Nine years ago, I was, somehow, Miss Wayland Baptist University. After you win Miss Wayland, you are the coordinator of the 'pageant' the next year. So, the first weekend of November, 2000, I was coordinating and giving away my title. It was during this year, though, that Jared had begun to develop a little thing for me, and I was completely oblivious. He had helped me for hours in preparation for the pageant. He put together a group of guys to sing in an in-between and turned pages for me as I performed my final talent. He was at every single practice, right by my side, helping me however I needed it. I think I should have picked up on the signals he was sending! At that time, Miss Wayland was a two night affair. On opening night, all of the contestants get their beautiful flowers from their sponsor organizations, family, and such. I, however, really wasn't expecting anything since my year was over. When I went downstairs, however, there was this absolutely gorgeous, HUGE arrangement on my dressing table. I mean, this thing was bigger than anything we had at our wedding. I couldn't believe that my dad had spent that much money on me! Then, I opened the card and read the most kind words from my best friend, Jared. I think everyone in that dressing room knew what that card really said, except for me! It seemed like all 27 contestants watched me read that card. I gushed after I read it, "Don't I have the most amazing friend ever?!" As they all rolled their eyes, I continued getting ready. I never allowed myself to believe that someone like Jared Hardy, handsome, witty, charming, talented, just perfect, could ever be with someone like me. But, after the pageant that night, Jared let me know that his card wasn't just about friendship. It was about a lot more. We were engaged the following August. Okay, so all that to say this...I judged the Miss Wayland pageant last weekend. I love getting to do this as my time in those shoes were so blessed and special. On Friday afternoon, Jared drove up a little later than I expected him. He walked into the house with two dozen roses. He remembers year after year that he sent me my first of many bouquets of flowers on that first weekend in November and still does to this day. Goodness gracious, I love him!

6 comments:

Whitney said...

AW! Carla you have such a sweet husband :)

Erin said...

Seriously...ok, I'm crying. How sweet is that. :)

Ashley said...

ok, THAT is the coolest story EVER! wow.

The Thomas Train said...

tears too.....

Mike and Emily said...

yay for Miss Wayland pageant. That's where me and my hubby flirted too...and he had a thing for me when I gave away my crown. hmmm, something about it! I guess we should pay attention when we get flowers from boys at WBU! ha! I wish I could have been there to see everyone.

Becky said...

It is a good thing you treasure that boy, I believe you are truly blessed! Just as an aside, I LOVE you halloween pics and stories. Those are the best and make much better memories than boring, store bought, EXPENSIVE costumes!