Friday, August 7, 2009

May I Recommend...

...two things! I'm no BlogHer reviewer (or whatever...I don't really get that!) but do I ever have two recommendations for YOU! The first of which is a new baby lotion that was NOT around last time I was worried about a baby's bottom being all kinds of smooth. I gave up on Jakob's after he managed to get 30 splinters in his rear end in his Sunday School room. Hopeless. Dr. Liz, the incredible, gave us gifts upon gifts for Lily, and I took note. Here is another great thing about being friends with your pediatrician...you can REALLY trust the products they bring to your baby shower. Anyway. I digress. In the big bucket of joy (as I've called her gift) were two fat-daddy bottles of lotion WITH the pump, which is the most important thing of all when trying to hold up legs with one hand and lotion with the other. It just gets messy otherwise. They are both Johnson and Johnson brand and one was the soothing nighttime scent, which I used with Jakob, so I naturally gravitated to that one for the last month. Tonight, however, I was feeling rebellious. I ventured into the world of (insert trumpet anthem here) Vanilla Oatmeal. Glorious. Truly. It will not only lather my sweet baby girl, it will replace my Bath and Body Works Japanese Cherry Blossom. Love it. Again, Liz, you're my hero!

Okay, the lotion was great and all, but the next recommendation could very well change your life. It certainly changed my night. It is my great goal to start this INCREDIBLY hectic school year with an organized, everything has a place and every place has a thing, house. Got it? If we can't find a nook for it, the item in question is leaving our house! This is a difficult task, however, when the other people in your house aren't exactly feeling the pressure to spring clean in the summer. So yesterday as I was browsing the isles of Target, I saw a light shining down from heaven on a dry-erase, magnetic chore chart with magnetic stars and rewards. Oh. My. Word. Earlier today, I sat down with Jakob and showed him his four daily tasks. Toys. Books. Dirty Clothes. Costumes. Pick up everything, everyday and get to put your star magnets on the chart. When you earn a specific number of stars, you get a big prize. Not only did my stubborn three-year-old pick up (really pick up) his ENTIRE room tonight for the first time in his life without falling in the floor screaming "I can't!" and "I don't know how!", but he picked up the ENTIRE HOUSE of his toys. I wasn't going to push the envelope tonight, you know. To my great pleasure, though, he rescued his golf clubs, light swords, and baseball stuff from my living room WITHOUT BEING ASKED!!! The only downside...he told Jared and I we weren't going to earn our stars for our room. He's right. Not today anyway! Who cares if he poops his pants multiple times daily?! He loves the chore chart! (No laughing when tomorrow night's post is all about how the chore chart has failed me!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No pictures? HAHA I love Jakob telling you and Jared no stars tonight. I put my bet on Jakob having the most stars at the end of each week. No, really, glad you foound the magnetic board. Sounds great. I must try the lotion. I can't emagine anything replacing bath & body. Love you all. MOM

Kara said...

Love it! I bathe the boys in vanilla oatmeal nightly...yummo! I too have a chore chart like that and it has made its appearance again, time to get back in a routine. We reward pennies for each start they get, so Caden who has 7 for each day gets about $0.50 a week and at the end of the month they can go get a toy with that money. We also chip in an extra penny for doing something without being asked, etc. We don't spend a fortune on a toy that month, but if they want a small item, or gum after dinner from a restaurant, that kind of thing.

Sorry that was soo long...like you wanted all that advice :)

jarcarhar said...

Lindsey...believe me, costumes may be the biggest problems around here! They are everywhere! I must say, though, the costume box from Santa was the absolute BEST Christmas gift ever! I just bought a bunch of costumes after Halloween when they were on clearance and put them in a tub. It is the only Christmas gift he still really plays with daily! Cheap and easy!

Kara...I LOVE the penny idea! Jakob loves putting money in his bank...we shall commence with the tiny allowance! Suggestions ALWAYS welcome!!!

Shalie said...

Lily has grown so fast! I am like you and try to savor every little moment. BTW, you look GREAT only a month after baby!

Elisabeth said...

Ha! You are too sweet! Now what you really need to try is the Johnson's "Soothing Naturals" line. It is my absolute favorite. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it in stores at the moment, so I order it from Drugstore.com. They make a moisturizing cream, lotion, body wash(?), moisturizing stick, etc. It has the BEST scent- very fresh. Good for boys and girls. I use it for myself too. They hand it out at the Pediatric Conventions and I can't get enough of it!! It is one of the most popular samples. I have some in my sample closet at the office if you want to give it a try. If you need more lotion (for yourself or the babies/kiddos!) :)