Sunday, April 5, 2009

In a Really Good MOOD!

I have been waiting to do this post for WEEKS! Most of you will probably not connect with me in my distinct PASSION for this post, so bear with me! There is this little show formerly on Bravo (now on Lifetime due to a legal battle...yada yada...) called, drum roll please, Project Runway. During whatever season of Project Runway is airing, my life stops on Wednesday nights at 9 pm...stops. I don't bathe Jakob. I don't answer my phone. I don't pee. I just watch. Glued to the television, waiting to see what AMAZINGLY GOOD or BAD design comes down the runway. I LOVE IT. Okay, I think you get that part. The designers on Project Runway purchase all of their fabrics at Mood Designer Fabrics in New York City.
These are the judges posing in Mood: left to right, Michael Kors, Heidi Klum, Nina Garcia, and Tim Gunn. When we learned that we would be going to NYC on choir tour this year, I immediately began to drop hints in Jared's ear that I just wanted to go and get a plastic bag from there. Nothing spectacular. Just let me walk into the building and get that precious black bag with the gold writing. In truth, I knew that was a very slim possibility, as my job in NY was to be a chaperon. A group of high school kids don't want to go to an upscale fabric store. So, I gave up the dream of getting to go to the only place in NYC that I really wanted to go! Until...a certain misfortune came through for me in the form of my sweet husband. Here is the short version: before we even knew we were pregnant this time, I found this fabric that I absolutely fell in love with. I told Jared that if we ever had a little girl, I wanted her nursery to be done in similar fabric. As soon as we learned we were having a girl, Jared and I left the doctor's office and headed toward the fabric store. They only had 2 yards of my original fabric in stock. I bought all of it and the coordinating fabrics that I wanted to work with, as my precious, talented mom is MAKING all of the bedding and coordinates for Lily Hope's room! So, here was the problem: after we searched literally EVERY JoAnn Fabric store from Albuquerque to St. Louis and their distributors, we learned that there was no way of getting any more of the original fabric or the selected curtain fabric. Bummed doesn't begin to describe my emotion. I was devastated, as only a pregnant woman can be when she has her heart set on something for her baby! It was bad. My sweet husband, though, has paid attention in our marriage! In a quiet moment two days before we left for New York, he whispered (literally) in my ear, "Don't you think Lily would love having curtains hang in her room from Mood?" I stared blankly as though he was speaking another language. He actually KNEW what Mood was?! Good man. So, off we went. Our boss graciously let us 'disappear' from the group for an afternoon, and we caught the F train to 34th street and walked three blocks to 37th...the Fashion District.
I could not contain myself. Picture this. 40,000 square feet of fabric, floor to ceiling. Not in vertical 'bolts' like at a 'normal' store, but on 6 foot rolls, just piled horizontally on top of one another. Three stories of material bliss. We walked around for nearly two hours comparing my fabric samples next to THOUSANDS of yards of fabric. We saw a roll of Armani suit fabric that was $7,000 for 10 yards of material. Crazy. While we did not pay $700 per yard for our fabric, we did find it, and it is PERFECT! Jared gave me my favorite New York memory, by far. (Insert the sound of trumpet anthems here) Here it is!


These are two of the coordinating fabrics with the Mood fabric. I'm saving the original fabric that started this whole fiasco for the post that reveals the finished products when my mom is through sewing, which could be quite some time! You're the BEST, mom! Lily is going to absolutely love her nursery...not because its from Mood, (that's why I love it!) but because Nana made it!

4 comments:

The Nolands said...

It is going to be a SWEET nursery and a sweet story for Miss Lily to have in the baby book. Love you guys! Can't wait to see the nursery and her!!

miker said...

What a guy! That'll be a great story to tell Miss Lily someday! Her future husband will have some big shoes to fill!

Kara said...

How totally awesome! I am so impressed that the hubby listened and I can't wait to see Miss Lily's nursery! Too cool!

ashley said...

Sadly, my friend, I know of this obsession you speak. I heart PR no matter what network shows it! Can't wait to see you Friday!