Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sorry, Mom...

I really hate cleaning house. Hate it. I enjoy and prefer a clean house, but I would enjoy and prefer for someone else to do it! For those of you that know my mom, she is a Proverbs 31 woman through and through, and God bless my parents, they tried with me, they really did! My mom and I used to fight when I was growing up over typical things (mainly because we are crazy similar in so many ways!), but the number one door-slamming offense was that my room wasn't cleaned. Knock-down, drag-out fights. I have always hated cleaning. My mom, however, keeps the most clean, yet comfortable house you could imagine. I love her for that. I love her even more when she comes and does my house that way! Jared and I lovingly refer to her as the 'night fairy' when she comes and things 'magically' get done! It seems as though many people who hate to clean or tidy up marry their polar opposite...a neat freak! Those people usually end up in a very workable, compromised, clean and tidy relationship. God's greatest joke? Jared and I BOTH hate it. We both work in chaos quite nicely, thank you very much! All that to say this: the month of May is crazy...we all know that! Next weekend is the musical, Jakob's birthday and party in our backyard, and Lily's baby shower! What a fun weekend! The catch? My mom and brother are coming to spend a long weekend with us, and we are having Jakob's party at our house. SO...I have to clean. Thanks to the H1N1 Virus and over-dramatic cancellations, I suddenly have more time on my hands! So, today while Jakob is at PDO and Jared doesn't need me in class, I am trying to get a lot done. (The fact that Jared had to go buy new underwear was a sure sign that laundry was WAY behind...I know, it is not something I'm proud of!) So, here is my top 10 list of things I hate cleaning/doing the most around the house! I'm hoping when I get this off of my chest I will have a blazing productive day!

10. Vacuuming around furniture and toys (I should probably move things, I guess! hmmm...)

9. Clearing off furniture to dust in West Texas wind and dust...it is a pointless venture!!!

8. Washing windows (Okay, I have never actually done this, but I know I need to, and it just seems pointless...again, the West Texas wind and dust.)

7. Making beds...I still stick by my elementary school argument, mom, that it makes no sense to make something up that you are going to crawl back into that very night! And yet, I'm trying to teach Jakob to do so. Vicious cycle. I think this makes me a hypocrite.

6. Matching and folding socks. Does anyone else's skin/fingertips feel funny after folding a basket of socks?


5. Wringing out a mop. I really wish that Swiffer Wet Jet was as great as advertised.

4. Cleaning bathtubs and shower walls. Give me a thousand toilets over one tub surround any day.

3. Unloading the dishwasher. This one might not be as bad in a bigger kitchen where everything had a place. I wouldn't know. Maybe I'll go shopping later for kitchen organization. Shopping...there's something I can get into!

2. Folding, hanging, and putting away laundry. I really don't mind doing it, I just hate putting it away...except for Jakob's clothes. I love folding and putting his away...always have. That's weird, I think.

1. Doing dishes. Jared knew before we married that I just didn't do dishes. I almost added it to our vows. I hate it. He knows that I am either groveling for forgiveness, setting the 'mood,' or finishing up a study of being a better wife if I do the dishes. Hate it. With a passion.

Okay, I'm off to hang up (ugh.) another load of laundry followed by unloading the dishes Jared did last night and finishing up what is left in the sink. No, I'm not apologizing or setting a mood...just figure that after complaining this much, I should go be productive while he is at work. Merry Maids, where are you?!

5 comments:

Ashley said...

HA! I like that you've moved from facebook to blogging to further procrastinate on cleaning! LOL.

ashley said...

Amen sister! cleaning stinks! and yes, I hate folding socks right out of the dryer. I have complained more than once to dan about the weird way my fingertips feel- wonder what it is?

jacnkass said...

I have never noticed the weird feeling from socks, but I do have a surefire way around having to match them! I am OCD about my socks... once they are a pair, they are a pair for life. I don't mean I wear the same types together (I know some ppl who don't even bother to do that much), I mean the same two socks are a pair for life. To avoid sorting through socks in a very thorough manner every time I need a fresh pair I darn my socks. Just a small amount of colored thread will work wonders for your sock sorting ventures.

Kudos on procrastinating from cleaning the house by blogging about how much you hate to clean the house... well played :)

Becky said...

Love this post - out of my four girls, three of them could have just signed their names to the bottom - sounds just like them! I finally gave up and just grit my teeth when I am at their places and I am really not near as clean and organized as your mom. Sometimes I have even been know to go into "night fairy" mode.

Mandy said...

Ha! I'm obviously one of those people my mom says could sign their names to the bottom of this post. I hate to clean. Don't really see the point (especially bed making). I love it when the night fairy comes. Chad will sometimes come home from work and say "Has your mom been here today?" How pathetic is that? He knows the house never gets that clean for no reason when I am at home.