Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Happy Anniversary, Bob and Valarie!

Today is my parents' 30th Anniversary...wow! I am so in awe of those two as individuals, but especially as a couple. They have always shown Brandon, Leslee, and me such a Biblical example of marriage...a gift I didn't appreciate in its fullness until I was married. When I think about all that they have weathered over their 30 years together, it makes me tired! I mean, my high school years alone were enough to ruin a marriage! I remember when I was in late elementary/early middle school and my mom was going through the hell that is Multiple Sclerosis without a definite diagnosis. I watched my dad care for her before all others. He showed me how to be loved by my husband someday. My dad cleans the kitchen for my mom most nights, if not all nights...including the stove! I don't mean a wipe-down...I mean, he takes apart the gas burners and cleans the kitchen! What a guy! Daddy, I love the way you cherish mom. I love how you serve alongside her and allow your strengths to boost her weaknesses and vica versa. I admire your patience in all ways...why didn't I get that trait!? I thank you so much for never leaving, for always providing, and always making home fun. I really never knew we lived in the ghetto until we were out! Ha! Thanks for my sad, sick sense of humor...I owe it all to you! Thank you, dad, for your godly guidance and counsel to Jared and me during these last 7 years, especially the last three. I know that you will be cheering the loudest when we are debt free together. Mom...my mom. You all know what I think of her as my momma...incredible! AS a wife, a Proverbs 31 woman...stunning. I remember growing up that my mom ALWAYS had a dessert made for dinner. One night Brandon and I were whining about what she had made (ridiculous in hind-sight!), and she said something along these line to us, "I will always make what dad wants before I make what you want!" That is so not word for word, but it stuck with me greatly! I have never doubted my parents' love for us kids, but we all three knew that we were not at the top of the list! My mom made lemonaid out of lemons more often than I ever knew at the time. My parents sacrificed so very much for mom my to stay at home with us, and we never knew it! Mom was so careful to make the days fun, creative, and full...who knew that the rest of the world didn't have grilled cheese and kool-aid everyday during the summer and call it a picnic?! Our house was a home because of my mom. As soon as Brandon and I were old enough to stay home alone for a few hours, my parents went on a coke date everyday when he came home from work...they still do. I love it. My mom has shown me how to stand with my husband and love him even if I don't necessarily agree with him all of the time. Mom, you showed me how to hurt gracefully and love endlessly. You inspire me to be a more Biblical wife to Jared and mom to Jakob and Lily. Thank you so much for your example. I know that both of my parents are mine and Jared's greatest prayer warriors and cheerleaders. I am so proud of them and for them! Enjoy Alaska, y'all! We love you so very much and wish you the happiest of anniversaries!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

You did an awesome job of describing your parents. They are wonderful people. The sense of humor thing is cracking me up! I'm never sure what I will get out of your dad when I run into him, sometimes it scares me!!haha

aggielauren05 said...

Your parents are so incredible... happy anniversary to them and I hope they enjoy their trip!

Damon and Erin said...

Oh man, Carla...thanks for making me cry my eyes off!