Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Greatest Decade

2010.  Wow.  Can y'all believe it?!  When I think of just the numbers side of things, it seems like yesterday that we were holding our breaths for Y2K fallout.  When I think of the situational side of things, however, it seems like 2000 was a lifetime ago.  I was a sophomore in college, not even dating Jared, serving as Miss Wayland, and refusing to grow up.  I was 'working' for my college choir director.  (I missed more often than I showed up, that is for certain!)  The circumstances of my life were not the greatest, made so by my own choices.  I can only imagine the massive prayers sent up by my parents during the beginning of this decade.  How sovereign God proved Himself to be. 

Highlights of the decade:  Jared.  Jakob.  Lily.  I loved our engagement, wedding, and honeymoon.  It was all home-made.  Cheap.  Practical.  We were so truly broke.  Although I would re-do the color scheme, the gift registry, and the flowers, I wouldn't change the outcome of June 8, 2002 for anything in this world.  I remember our first apartment was the tiniest thing you can imagine.  What should have been the 'master bedroom' for our unit was the laundry room for the entire complex.  I need to remember that aparment when I feel my current walls closing in around me!  This decade brought Jared and I the gift of debt...yep, the gift.  We have now officially climbed out of the pit and on to solid ground.  What a gift to fight together against a common adversary and come out on top.  God proved Himself to be our Deliverer and our Portion.  We bought our first home after living in more rent houses than I care to remember.  We have jobs that allow us to serve others as a family.  Jakob has been with us at good ole FHS since day #1.  God love him, all of his milestones seem to happen in the choir room.  I'm sure Lily's will too!  I love that, though.  We are blessed to share our days with one another:  good, bad, or ugly.  What a gift the Lord has given our family through Frenship and our 'jobs.' 

As I look back 10 years ago, I see way too many of the same character flaws within myself than I should.  Lack of margin.  Lack of follow-through.  Lack of relationship.  Lack of self-control.  Lack.  Lack.  Lack.  I'm not one on resolutions.  (lack of follow-through and self-control, you know!)  But, this decade I hope to allow the 'lack' to be filled up...to be made found 'lacking in nothing.'  I cannot fathom that when the next decade rolls over I will be the parent of a 13 year old and a 10 year old.  Nuts.  Simply nuts.  One thing is for certain, we lack not in laughter, joy, love, and fun around here, and for those things, I am ever truly grateful to my Father.  Happy New Year, y'all. 

3 comments:

Amy Mykytiuk said...

Thanks for the realization that in the next decade I'll be the mother of an 18 year old!!! Ahhh.
Hadn't thought about the fact that I only have 10 years left with him.
Where is the time going?
It's been fun cathing up with you and Jared on here. Have a blessed year!

Becky said...

This is a wonderful post, in fact I enjoy all of you little entries. You know if you haven't had you blogs made into a book, you really should! This past decade really has been amazing! When I was your age, the thought of the year 2000 was so abstract, like maybe we'd be living on the moon or wearing anti-gravity belts. Well, maybe not when I was your age, but as a little kid...

ashley said...

just beautiful. absolutely beautiful. how blessed I am to have known you for a decade, my friend.