Sunday, September 13, 2009

Remind Me...

...why I do some of the bone-headed things I do! Friday night I packed up my two precious children and three precious students and headed to Frenship's football game in Abilene. I had worked all morning to get things together: blankets, changes of clothes and underwear, pull-ups for the trip home, snacks for the trip and the game, separate bags for the car and the stands, and the list could go on and on! I was prepared! What could I have possibly missed? Hmmm...how about checking a map and a weather report. We left as soon as sectionals were over, but still got off later than I had hoped. Jared texted me the directions as he was already there with the radio crew. Over half way there, we went through a small shower so I called Jared for a weather update. Rain. Nothing bad, just non-stop rain. "Surely it'll pass before we get there!" I thought, foolishly! No umbrellas. No hoods. No ponchos. Newborn and three year old. Good, Carla. Really good. I decided these were the things memories were made of, though! No worries! I brought long sleeves and pants for the two of them. It would be fine! About this time, it hit me that I had no earthly idea where on the road to Wylie Jared's directions began. I saw an exit that sounded familiar, but passed it. Bad idea. 40 minutes, one emotional melt down in front of my children and my students, and one gas station in the middle of no where we finally ended up at the stadium...after half time had ended. Great. I then dropped my son's pants in the mud and forgot just about all of Lily's stuff as we headed up into the stands and into the rain. I must have looked like the worst mom of the century as we walked up there without an umbrella with my 2 month old. Poor Jakob. He was so excited to go and see the Tigers. He LOVED sitting in the rain and refused the umbrellas that my sweet Jared had wrestled from somewhere. The only problem was that we were only there for about a quarter and a half with our sweet Tigers losing. Jakob was not too thrilled when the game ended. "Momma! We JUST got here!" No kidding, Buddy. So, we drove almost 4 hours (that includes the guided tour of the greater Abilene area!) to watch roughly 30 minutes of a game and then return home at 2 am. Thank goodness for Bryce, Barclay, and Lauren! They were such a HUGE help and are the ones who actually got us 'un-lost'! I took a huge humility pill and tried to find the humor! They say they'll even do it again with me, but with printed instructions!

4 comments:

The Thomas Train said...

Oh my goodness!!! What an adventure. It is wonderful that you take the little ones to games like that. They will remember that forever. (In a good way). Not that I want the kids to grow up too fast, but I can't wait until they are big enough that I am watching them in the game!! Somehow, I think I will end up being "that Mom". You know, the one that screams and cheers too loud and embarasses them.

Whitney said...

Carla, don't sweat it! The boys said they had a great time. They already told me that they can't wait to go to Canyon with you. HAHA! You are wonderful and I love all your little antics :) Miss you.

Bryce said...

I've never felt the end being so close! But everything was ok when we headed toward the lights!

Shalie said...

You are so brave!!! I am completely impressed, even IF you only got to see 30 minutes of football in the rain. I still have only attempted the grocery store with Reese twice. :)