Saturday, September 5, 2009

Football Fridays with a Little Jakob Wisdom

Woo Hoo! Football is BACK!!! No one is more excited than Jakob and me! He has been to just about every Frenship games since birth...even the ones that were so cold I landed in the 'bad mother' column. Oh, well! He loves it as much as I do! Last week, my mom graciously kept Lily while Jakob and I had a date to game. We had one of my favorite times together that we have ever had. Jared is the color commentator on the sidelines for Frenship football radio, so it is just me and the boy in the stands...SO FUN!!! Cheering for a winning team is always a little more fun, too!

Jakob and Daddy on their mics! (Cell phone pictures only from last week! Sorry!)

Last night, I decided to venture into uncharted territory...both kids to the game...Yowzah! Thanks to my husband buying the two season ticket seats next to us (Thank you, Jared!) I called in reinforcements by the names of Bryce and Barclay! Rachel stopped in to help out also. I strapped Lily in the carrier, got Jakob all set with his backpack of goods, and off we went! We were so not on time, but that's okay. We made it with about 5 minutes left in the first quarter...it was already 20-0 in favor of our Tigers. Ouch.

Bryce and Lily

Barclay and Lily

The only not-so-good part of the night turned into one of the sweetest things Jakob has ever said. There were a group of high school guys who had painted themselves and donned scary Halloween masks and makeup in the name of 'spirit.' Anyway...Bryce took Jakob to go to the bathroom, and those guys were in the bathroom getting all 'psyched' up. Jakob FREAKED out...FREAKED. He was shaking, crying, and truly frightened. Poor Bryce! They came back up to the stands, sans pee, and told me all about it. Jakob crawled into my lap, laid his head on my shoulder, wrapped his arms tightly around my neck, and began reciting a verse we say at night time. He was chanting it almost...over and over. "The Lord is my Helper. I will not be afraid. The Lord is my Helper. I will not be afraid. The Lord is my Helper. I will not be afraid." Over and over. Bless his heart. After half time, the pee attempt was made again, only to find the Tiger mascot half-dressed, taking a break. Jakob FREAKED again. Bless his heart! This morning, we woke up with our sweet, still-scared boy in our bed. He picked up a book and began 'reading' Bible stories to us....never mind that the book was a Halo book! Anyway, he told us all about David and Goliath in great detail and threw in some Three Little Pigs. It was a great rendition of both stories. Then, he made his correlation between Goliath and those 'bad guys' from the football game. Here is Jakob's application: "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid because He will huff and puff and blow your house down!"

2 comments:

Mike and Emily said...

You look so great with your two kiddos. And, poor Jakob. But what he said gave me chill bumps. What a sweet moment and way to go parents for instilling that in him!! Hmm, have to keep that in mind since we have a close-approaching-1 year old.

Unknown said...

ARen't you so glad you wrote this down to remember such a sweet thing! That's so awesome even though it was sad that he was afraid. You are obviously doing an awesome job instilling the word of God in him!