Thursday, June 12, 2008

Confessions of an habitual slob!

Well, as to Teri's prodding, I am going to bare my soul with you all...the deepest, darkest regions of my life. Hello, my name is Carla, and I am a slob. I hate putting small pieces of paper in the trash. I despise putting laundry up after I have washed and folded it. (I'm not kidding...I don't mind doing it, sorting it, and folding it. I just HATE putting it where it belongs!) I have a talent for looking past the faults and flaws of my home...such as piles of laundry, stacks of mail, and finger-printed glass. They say admission is the toughest part, right? WRONG!!!

One of my goals this summer, however, is to completely organize our new home. I have to start by completing the unpacking process that began when we moved in here in late October. Obviously, I've been over-looking things for quite some time! Anyway...I scheduled a garage sale for 10 days from now to help kick me in the pants on this clutter-free journey I've signed up for. I have done pretty well so far...cleaned out all of my kitchen cabinets, the hall closet, completey over-hauled Jakob's room (there is a whole other blog attached to that) and worked on the hall bathroom. Woo Hoo! Look at me go! Then, there is our bedroom. (Insert doom and despair music here!) The place in our home that should be our santuary, our love nest, our escape...instead, it is our dumping ground, our last resort, and the thorn in my side! I will not go into great detail because I would be too ashamed, but just know, its like Jared and I never graduated from high school in there! Really, we should be grounded from playing with our friends until it has been cleaned! So, out of conviction from the Holy Spirit to serve my husband (and per his polite request to get rid of Mount Towels) I began work in there this morning. I had just reached that place of utter frustration with myself...you know, when you make promises to never let it get this bad again...when I heard Jakob start to sing. He has just started this beautful gift of singing, but he won't do it if he thinks you are listening. So, I kept busy while listening intently and trying to treasure every last sweet note. Here are the words that soared on his melody and totally ruined my state of mind:


To the 'tune' of The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything"

"Pirate...don't do an-ting...

Stay home...lay 'round...

LIKE MOMMY!!!"

I died...right then and there! He noticed that I chose to play just three or four (or six) games of dominoes while eating my bagel this morning before starting my task! It was as though God Himself was using the words of my prophetic two-year old to remind me of God's description of a woman of noble character found in Proverbs 31. The New Living Translation puts it like this:

15 She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household

and plan the day’s work for her servant girls.

So here are my thoughts for the day: first, I will strive to keep God's word fresh in my heart as I try to graciously tend the needs and duties of my home this day. Second, and maybe most importantly, where are my servant girls, Lord? I would so readily prepare their day's work for them if they would only ever show up for work!


4 comments:

Whitney said...

So...I love blogs. I was really sad when the whole Xanga phase went out a few years ago and myspace got all big. So I decided to join you in the blogging thing =] mine is whitneyrebecca.blogspot.com
=]

bbw789 said...

That was deep...well if you need a Jakob watcher with a camera helmet to make a "Music Video Remix" of his awesome talents that God blessed him with, I would love to do that because I have decided that I am bored without the 2ft 4in
youngster that brings action, adeventure,and never ending laughter to my life... well I am going to feast upon spagetti( which i am aware i don't know how to spell)
Have a good cleaningful day!
Sincerely,
Jimmney Cricket

Amanda said...

Funny, we're having a garage sale the same day as you...seems like we'll always do that together even if we're miles apart! haha!

Isn't 2 year old conviction the best...or worst?

Anonymous said...

AMEN SISTER. If they every DO show up, kindly ask them to remind MY servant girls that I have been severly neglected for a very long ... Oh, let's face it, FOREVER!!!

Your friend,
Laura Kelley