Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Big One?

Yep.  I am turning thirty years old in a mere 30 minutes...1:21 am, to be exact!  Leading up to this day, I have really anticipated being very sad or solemn or whatever.  That, unfortunately, is just how I work.  You see, in my mind, I am still the 20 year old leading worship and playing Kookie Kickball at church camp all summer long in a much smaller jean size and with straighter teeth!  That's just how I see myself.  Now that the 'big one' is actually here, however, I am closer to the proud side of the spectrum and further from the dread side.  I am so blessed in my current state of being...saved by a perfect, sovereign God; loved by an incredible man who just happens to be my best friend; adored by these two beautiful little people who share my nose; handed a legacy of godliness from my parents who have become my true friends; befriended by a group of people who share in my life (the good, bad, and ugly) as we seek the Throne together; gifted with my honest-to-God dream job with the most glorious students and co-workers I could dream of; and challenged to surrender.  Wow.  I can promise you that the 20 year old in my mind thought nothing of these things.  She couldn't have even imagined what was ahead.  If she only knew, she would have hurried along because the ride only gets sweeter!  Although there is much that I wish were different about myself, tonight I am choosing to think about the things that have been molded and shaped over these years.  What a difference a decade makes!  Hopefully one day soon, I'll have time to think on and write about the things that I have learned in each of my three decades, (ouch.  okay that one did hurt a little!) but tonight isn't that time.  Nope.  Tonight is just me saying, "Thanks, Lord. How about a few more?" 


Yes, I know this was a TON of pictures, but I've been alive for THIRTY YEARS!!!  A lot has happened!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a ride!!!! It has been great. All the pictures brought tears to my eyes and made me kind of tired. You kept us very busy, but soooo much fun.Enjoy our times together still. Oh, ya, thank you for those 2 precious grand-children.
The glasses in that first picture just kill me, glad that was 30 years ago.MOM

jacnkass said...

It seems you have spent a disproportionate amount of time in your life cutting foam with a steak knife. I guess there are worse things. Happy 30th!!!!! I hear this is the decade when life really starts to rock... and you are old enough to delegate foam-cutting to the younger generation. :)

ashley said...

I love that you were born. My life has some amazing memories because God created you 30 years ago. Happy Birthday friend, and may you enjoy cheesey, cherry, trailer hitches today.

Anonymous said...

What sweet memories!!! You have made me laugh, cry, smile, and proud! You are a wonderful person and your life speaks volumes to so many people! I thank God everyday for the family that gave me! My life would not be where it is today without it! These pics just bring back wonderful memories!! 30 is just a number. I know you will have so many more good memories to make in the next ten!! I love you very much and know that this will be a wonderful birthday! Love you much! Leslee (Singing) Happy Birthday to you... :)

Damon and Erin said...

Ok it's me, so of course I'm crying after looking at all those pictures...good grief I'm a blubbering fool! :) I'm so thankful that God created you 30 years ago because I would be a different person if He hadn't. Thank you for loving me and letting me share a piece of your life with you. My heart is full...

Mike and Emily said...

happy birthday! And, I loved looking at the progression of your life. You are one hot miss wayland-momma-wife!

Becky said...

Happy Birthday (a day late)! Honey, your mind will always tell you that you are younger than you actually are, it is the body that protests. Of course, you are just a beautiful young thing. BTW, I love your mom's glasses, I think I had a pair just like them!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you!
30- You're still just a child!
Enjoy it!
Loved all the pictures!

Vicki